We’ve got tickets to The Harlem Globetrotters UK Tour up for grabs! Since the moment I heard about the Globetrotters tour, I’ve been leaping around the house practicing my best basketball moves (they’re pretty bad), much to the consternation of my children and my neighbours. What’s so exciting? It’s only basketball, after all, right? Most definitely not.
The Harlem Globetrotters have long been something of a phenomenon in the sporting world since the 1920s, combining competitive basketball with comedy and theatre and, quite simply, awe-inspiring control of a basketball.
When I was little I was desperate for the chance to go to one of their games, and can remember being transfixed watching them show off their skills on Sesame Street. I simply can’t wait for the chance to finally see the Harlem Globetrotters live!
[box]Tickets are available now from livenation.co.uk and you could win one of five pairs of tickets to a date of your choice below![/box]
THIS COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED
For your chance to win tickets to see the world’s most entertaining basketball players at The Harlem Globetrotters UK Tour, correctly answer the question below…
Paul Sturgess, the world’s tallest pro basketball player, is a towering 7 feet 8 inches tall and plays Center for The Harlem Globetrotters. What’s his nickname?
A) Tall Paul
B) Paul “Tiny” Sturgess
C) Paul “The Friendly Giant” Sturgess
Clue: Scroll down to read more about the Harlem Globetrotters 2012 rookies.
For a BONUS entry leave a comment below telling us whether your kids are inspired, amazed or embarrassed by your sporting skills. Do you run like Phoebe from Friends?… Can you spin a basketball?… Do you get always get picked last for the local Dads’ five a side?
Competition closes at noon on Wednesday 14 March 2012. Click here for full terms and conditions.
ABOUT THE HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS UK TOUR
The World Famous Harlem Globetrotters have announced that they will be returning to the UK in March 2012 as part of their World Tour. They will be bringing a brand new show packed with even more family fun, amazing tricks and incredible basketball skills than we’ve come to expect.
This year, the Globetrotters have signed 10 outstanding new players to join the world’s most famous basketball team. The rookie class includes the UK’s very own Paul ‘Tiny’ Sturgess who is the world’s tallest pro basketball player at a staggering 7’8”, the shortest Globetrotter ever, and the team’s first female player in nearly two decades.
The 2012 class could be the most electrifying and talented in the history of the storied franchise, rivaling that of the class of 1962, which featured Globetrotter Legends Curly Neal, Smokey Gaines, and Jackie Jackson; and the class of 1977, which included Legends Sweet Lou Dunbar and Billy Ray Hobley.
“The Globetrotters are excited to welcome a new generation of stars to carry on the storied tradition of the world’s most entertaining basketball team,” said Globetrotters CEO Kurt Schneider. “This year’s rookie class features some of the most talented and promising players from across the world.”
Among the 2012 rookies is the world’s tallest pro basketball player, Paul “Tiny” Sturgess, a 7-8 center from Mountain State University (W.Va.). The tallest Globetrotter ever, he is the 19th internationally born player in team history, hailing from Loughborough, England.
When Jonte “Too Tall” Hall, from Catonsville Community College (Md.), steps on the floor, he will become the shortest player in Globetrotter history at 5-2. The Baltimore, Md., native joins the Trotters after one-and-a-half seasons with the rival Washington Generals.
The Globetrotters have also signed the ninth female in Globetrotter history, Fatima “TNT” Maddox, a 5-6 star out of Temple University, who is the team’s first female player since 1993. Hailing from Colorado Springs, Colo., Maddox helped lead Temple to an Atlantic 10 Tournament title in 2006 and most recently played professionally in Sweden.
The team has added some more high-flyers to their roster in signing the top three finishers from the 2011 College Slam Dunk Contest:
• Jacob “Hops” Tucker of Illinois College, the Slam Dunk Champion. At a mere 5-10, the Carlyle, Ill., native sports a 50-inch vertical leap, and his YouTube video of dunks that has seen well over four million views helped him get invited to the Slam Dunk Contest.
• John “Jet” Williams, from Knightdale, N.C., the runner-up in the competition, led UNC-Asheville in blocks as a senior and was second on the team in rebounding.
• Nashville, Tenn., native Darnell “Spider” Wilks of the University of Cincinnati, who reached the semifinals of the Slam Dunk Contest.
The rookie class is rounded out by:
• Patrick “Flip” Atkins of Trinity International University (Ill.). A former member of the popular Jesse White Tumblers performing group, the Chicago, Ill., product led TIU not only in assists and steals as a senior, but in rebounding as well, at just 5-foot-9.
• Jermaine “Stretch” Middleton of Northwood University (Fla.). At 7-4, the San Antonio, Texas native is the third-tallest player in team history behind fellow rookie Paul “Tiny” Sturgess (7-8) and former Globetrotter Dut Mayar (7-6).
• Quade “Quake” Milum, of the University of Akron. The 6-8, Dayton, Ohio, native is a former Ohio high school high jump champion who also competed as a University of Akron freshman, where he recorded a season-best 6-8¾ jump at the MAC Championships.
• Anthony “Biggie” McClain, from Trenton, N.J. A teammate of Darnell “Spider” Wilks at the University of Cincinnati, the seven-footer led the Bearcats in field goal percentage this past season.
These 10 world class athletes will join Globetrotter stars Special K Daley, Big Easy Lofton, Flight Time Lang, Dizzy Grant, Scooter Christensen, and many others as the Globetrotters prepare for their 2012 World Tour.
Don’t miss your chance to be blown away by one of the world’s most beloved and entertaining family shows around.
HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS UK TOUR DATES
Wednesday 21 March – Nottingham Arena
Thursday 22 March – Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff
Friday 23 March – Sheffield Arena
Saturday 24 March – Newcastle Arena
Sunday 25 March – Aberdeen AECC
Monday 26 March – Wembley Arena
Tuesday 27 March – Birmingham LG Arena
Wednesday 28 March – Manchester MEN Arena
Thursday 29 March – Liverpool Arena
[button link=http://www.livenation.co.uk/artist/harlem-globetrotters-tickets?c=pr_ext_harlemglobetrotters_020212]Click here for tickets[/button]
- Competition closes at noon on Wednesday March 14th 2012
- Limit of 2 entries per person: 1 regular entry and 1 bonus entry.
- Bonus entry will only be counted if you have also entered the main competition
- Competition open to UK residents only
- Offer is not-transferable and no cash equivalent will be given
- Winners will be notified by text and/or email on Wednesday March 14th. If there is no reply within 24 hours we will need to choose an alternative winner.
- Our decision is final.
Latest posts by Janis (see all)
- Advice for the first day of school: School uniform, school shoes and name tags - August 26, 2018
- Thor: Ragnarok review – Funniest Superhero Movie Ever - October 19, 2017
- Summer Reads: Prize giveaway PLUS a monstrously funny Darkmouth interview - July 8, 2017